Better World Club

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Lemon Information for the 2009 Dodge Journey

Component: Steering/Handling
Consequence: This vehicle has had multiple issues. It stopped suddenly while driving up a hill for no apparent reason. The car had to be towed to level ground. Also, the vehicle suffers from a consistently bumpy ride and pulls to the right.

Component: Passenger-Side Front Assembly Strut
Consequence: Strut bearing is made of plastic. The passenger-side strut spring twisted and punctured the bearing. Both were replaced. The driver-side front spring has also begun to twist.

Component: Tires/Fuel Gauge
Consequence: Vehicle suddenly started vibrating and pulled to the left while the driver was traveling at roughly 60 mph. The tires were replaced, but this did not fix the problem. The same vehicle also has an inaccurate fuel gauge.

Component: Steering/Handling
Consequence: Vehicle lost power at slow speed and would not restart. The power train control module was replaced at the dealership. Additional grinding and whining noises necessitated the replacement of the power steering pump and rack and pinion. The whining noise continues, albeit intermittently and only while turning left.

Component: Tires
Consequence: One of the tires began to bulge. The driver replaced all four tires.

Component: Automatic Transmission
Consequence: The automatic shifter has been accidentally knocked out of drive and into reverse on several occasions without the break pedal being depressed. [NOTE: Two Journey owners lodged this same complaint.]

Bookmark with:

Delicious |  Digg |  reddit |  Facebook |  StumbleUpon

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

• I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey in May of '08. In August I took it in because the check engine light came on. It was a progressive, 6 week fix of O2 sensor, O2 sensor heater, O2 sensor ground wire and finally the power module. All was okay for another 6 weeks, or so. Then, on start-up, car runs but no headlights, tail lights, turn signals, power windows, heater, stereo, wipers. (Dome light and horn work.)

By Anonymous The Hoover's, At January 16, 2009 8:43 AM

• I have a 2009 Dodge Journey and the plastic key only last about 45,000 miles. I went to a Dodge Dealer and they wanted $ 275.00 for a new key and programming it. Whoever was the engineer who designed this "key" is an idiot.I guess Dodge expects you to pay for new key.They only warranty it for 12 months/36,000 miles. No wonder why consumers are buying Toyotas and Hondas.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 13, 2009 7:44 PM

• I purchased a dodge journey in july of '08 and I had awesome acceleration for two months. Then the traction control light came on and it stop accelerating and stalled. I took it in two more times same thing. On the final time they kept it for 4 days. Now it feels stiff and the acceleration is wonky, but they think it is me. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone know if I can use this to declare it a lemon?

By Blogger penquin, At June 2, 2009 7:02 PM

• On July 31, 2008, I had the misfortune of buying a 2009 Dodge Journey. BIG MISTAKE! It has been nothing but trouble. 10-12 mpg combined city and highway.I now have only 4500 miles on it(July 8, 2009). It has had the power steering repaired, two computers replaced, transmission and differential repaired. At the present time it is at the closest Dodge dealer,22 miles away awaiting a new transmission. All I have to do to gget lemonade is to leave it outside when it is raining. A LEMON???

By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 7, 2009 7:48 PM

• I drove my journey from Detroit to Stamford ny. All forward gears went out It is now 700 miles fom home awaiting a new transmission. Its been there 2 weeks. It has 4200 miles on it

By Blogger dfdbob, At July 18, 2009 4:32 PM

• I purchased a 2009 Journey as well and have had nothing but problems with my local dealer and the main company. If the owner's manual states to change the oil every 6000 miles, why does the oil change light go on after 2500? I took it in and they gave me different stories. They set the light to go off at that time despite what the manufacturer says. The company gave me a BS story about it as well. They are just trying to rip customers off. This is after they sold me a car that had some recalls that were not repaired. When I took it in for the first oil change after 2500 miles there were two "recalls" that were dated Sept and Dec 2008 (I purchased my car in the year 2009). I read them quickly as I was not given a copy, and both stated that the repairs were to be done on sold and unsold vehicles. My car had been on the lot for a few months before purchase and no repairs were done.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 1, 2009 10:13 AM

• I have had the Journey 4 cyl for just over a year now. Very unhappy! I have had a rattle in the front when I run over small bumps or seams in the road. This was noticed within the first month. They couldn't find the noise or cause saying it was probably my seat. I am not an idiot. It still makes noise to the point of passangers asking what it is. Then, theres the rear suspension squatting. I brought it up to their attention and was told it was normal for a front wheel drive. Well, now that my radial is showing thru the inside of my rear tires, they think there is a problem. The angle of the fake chrome work in two spots on the dash blind you at noon sun. Horrible design. The vehicle has shut off a couple times randomly like it was an electrical problem. I have already had to have new brakes and was told that the rotors were spun and cant be done again. When taking off from a stop sign, I get a slip or hesitation like low transmission fluid. Need I go on?

By Anonymous Bruno, At August 16, 2009 8:11 PM

• Well, at least yours runs. Ours is going back for the fifth time in two months because every now and again, it just won't start. You turn the key and zilch, nothing, nada. Then, as if the start fairies have come along, you turn the key and it works --- this could take anywhere from 2 to 30 minutes. So, we begin the arbitration that is aimed at leading to some remedy, since we have a one-year-old totally unreliable vehicle. That'll be our last Chrysler, that's for sure.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 1, 2009 7:29 PM

• i purchased a 2009 dodge journey in march of 2009, I now have 5000 miles on it and it has had two recalls, new rotors and the power windows stopped working. But today we were driving it and it would not shift out of first gear, so we got it towed but our luck it is a sunday and the dealer ship isn't opened until tomorrow, well I guess they don't care if you have kids that need to be drove to school and you need to work, so now i have to wait to get a loaner car.

By Blogger tolmanwright, At October 11, 2009 6:33 PM

• Tengo una unidad Dodge Journey 2009
    e tenido problemas de crroción en varios tornillos,y en la 2da. fila de asientos en donde se fija la misma.
    problemas de vibracion en los ejes delanteros y traceros.
    problemas con la alarma que se activa y no la puedes detener aún on su beeper de fabricante.
    problemas ccon el encendido de la unidad y hay que darle carga externa para poderla encender.

DIOS Que LIMón de SUV
    compre la misma en Benites Auto en Humacao, Puerto Rico y ellos no le encuentran nada que solucione el problema de encendido de este

RCB/26/nov/2009

By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 26, 2009 9:29 AM

• I had my 2009 Journey shut down and lose all power while driving two times. Once was on residential road and once on freeway. Anybody else have this issue?

By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 8, 2010 9:09 PM

• I bought my 2009 Journey in October 2009. Since then it's been at the dealership 4 times for a vibration noise (like blowing in a bottle)when I go up a hill or slowly accelerate. First time I took it in they replaced the power steering pump, 2nd time the power steering reseavor (not sure spelled right), still same noise...3rd time I had the mechanic ride with me and he heard the noise. After the 4th time of taking it in they had no clue what to do. At this point they had a Chrysler rep come from out of state. So I'm thinking ok well maybe we will get somewhere after that, nope! This woman came to Lakeland on Jan 11 and I have not heard from her yet! I have not even mentioned the other minor things I've taken it in for. These people have not offered me anything! I will never purchase a Chrysler product again! I am just suppose to accept the noise on a brand new vehicle! I am in the process of the Lemon Law procedure, it stinks because it fit my family perfectly. What a shame to not try and make the customer happy. Has anyone else had this issue with a whisle noise or viration noise?

By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 21, 2010 4:54 PM

• I have purchased a 2009 Journey in June 2008, the first month, I had problems with the windows making noises, but other than that, the car runs good, I have 35,500 miles on that car.

By Anonymous Ethan, At January 26, 2010 7:48 PM

• I purchased a 2009 SXT in October 2008. I absolutely love the cars looks & features........BUT I have had several problems with it.

1st was the heat/AC....the dual climate control is great, but when one passenger is HOT & the other is cold, then you should be able to adjust accordingly. NO........ Took it in & said that the hoses were not hooked up correctly. OK I understand, it didn't cost me anything but my time as it was under warranty.

2nd is the radio on the backup camera model. It will lock up the volume & almost like it is froze up like a computer. It will just "fix" itself so I have never had it checked.

3rd was a few times the dash lights came on & flashed; as if when you were just starting it up but I was driving when this happened.

4th and MAJOR one! I came out of work today with power steering fluid all over the ground under the car. This, I might add, is the 2nd time in less than a month. The first time I took it in to get fixed, I was told that the hose was broke & they had to order a new one. Well, when they went to order it they said there was a new designed one because apparently the old one had a flaw, so to speak. They got it in, said it was fixed, and I went on my way. Today, about 2 weeks later, I called the dealership to let them know & I was told this: mine is the 3rd Journey that they have had to replace the hose on, and the reason was because of the cold weather (I live in North Dakota) caused the hose to break because of the added pressure of hydraulics.

So, I hate to say the Journey is a LEMON, but it is just giving me hell. It has 17k on it.

By Anonymous Crazycatlady, At January 28, 2010 2:32 PM

• 2009 Journey SXT - brakes and rotors outafter 16 months! And I see from this blog and other review sites that others are having the same problem. I guess I should be happy that I got 28000 miles on it before having to replace rotors! Some folks are only getting 5,000; 11,000; 17,000; 23,000 miles... really - for a brand new car?

By Blogger The Kiddos, At February 17, 2010 6:26 PM

• I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey in August 2009. At 10,000 miles the master brake cylinder had to be replaced. Two months later The brake pedal became "soft" again. My dealership where I purchased it from advised me to have it towed in and not to drive it. They gave me the roadside assistance # and they would only cover the first 17 miles to the closest dealership from my workplace. I called the dealership and asked if they would pay the difference in the mileage for the towing they said NO. So the other dealership had to "fix" it and they had my car for 24 hrs and said it was fixed told me there was air in the brake line from when they replaced the master brake cylinder two months earlier (liars). One week later the brake pedal is soft again. The dealership said it was an unsafe car and I wasn't getting back into it so they gave me another rental. In the meantime as I am still in my rental Chrysler has offered to buy back the car and do a collateral swap for a new one. After three weeks of hassle with the dealership, ISG, calling the CEO of Chrysler to waive the "mileage fee" they were trying charge me, losing time from work, worrying, not able to sleep...I still have my rental because Capitol One Finance doesn't do collateral swaps (I even emailed the CEO of Capital One). I will NEVER buy a Dodge vehicle EVER again much less use Capitol One Auto Finance!!!!! Worse case scenario....I have to take back my 2009 Dodge Journey that the dealership has supposedly been fixed (the booster was leaking - so they tell me). EXTREMELY UNHAPPY!!!!!

By Anonymous Kareng, At February 22, 2010 6:03 PM

• I have had 2 accidents with this car. One I turned short and did not see a stop sign on my left. The blind spot is unbearable in this vehicle. The tire hit the stop sign, actually climbed up the pole and flipped over on the right side. I was doing app 10 mph. The second accident, the brakes failed and I hit a car in the rear and it hit the car in front of it. It happened so fast I could not believe it. I am taking the hickey on the new car and trading it when it gets repaired. I am scared of this car and for anyone that has the misfortune to buy this car. I have 11k miles on it and it is a 6cyl.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 16, 2010 9:05 PM

• I purchased a Dodge Journey less than two years ago.It has only 10,000 miles on it,and i already need a full set of rear and front breaks.My interior fabric is a stain magnet,and so far my air conditioner needs to be replaced,Along w/ many other imperfections!!! So sad that car makers would actually allow this product on the market.I feel like a fool.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 12, 2010 11:49 AM

• You left me scared with all those Dodge Journey 2009 problems. I haven't had one yet, but I know for a fact that Dodge dealer doesn't care about customers. I bought a preoned 2009 one with 30k miles on it, with a broken antenna, but you will not believe that even with a paper signed by the dealer stating that they will replace it, they had me wait about 3 hours, debating wether they should replace it or not! they finaly managed to glue the broken base and put on a new antenna stick on it! It works but for how long? Now, the Key story: the dealer was supposed to give me a second key, which they believed was being delivered by the previous owner, the key never came. They now want me to pay $169 for the new key and $109 to program it! Right! Dodge should have the least customer care rating possible.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 15, 2010 11:37 AM

• I purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey in May of 2009, it has not been a year yet, my brakes and rotors need to be replaced. What is going on, this is not normal wear and tare on a car. I have researched and several thousand people with the same complaint, rotors are completely damaged I have 21,000 miles on my car. I also have a 2000 Toyota Corolla and only had to replace my brakes twice in the cars history and I have almost 200,000 miles. So it seems like every 15,000-20,000 brakes and rotors have to be replaced. Something needs to be done about this.

By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 27, 2010 6:03 PM