You recognize that even behind the wheel of your friend's car or a truck rental, you should have liability coverage in case you are the cause of an accident. What exactly does Non Owner Liability Insurance Cover?
Non Owner Liability Insurance covers:
- Bodily Injury: Covers the medical costs of the other driver and passengers involved in an accident caused by your negligence.
- Property Damage: Covers the repair costs of the other car or cars involved in an accident caused by your negligence.
Because it's liability insurance, it only covers damage to others and their property, not to yourself or the vehicle you are in. This means if your mistake causes a car accident, your non-owner liability coverage will pay the other driver's medical and vehicle repair costs (up to the policy's limits, of course). It does not, however, repair the damages for the rented or borrowed vehicle you're driving.
Vehicles Covered Under Non-Owner Liability
Non-owner liability insurance covers all rental cars and borrowed vehicles driven by you and only you. With this protection, you do not need to buy rental car insurance when renting a car -- you are covered.
Non owner liability does NOT protect:
- Any vehicle registered under your name.
- Any vehicle titled to you.
- Work-related vehicles.
- Non-private passenger type vehicles.
- Any vehicle owned by a resident of your household; say, for example, you daughter's car.
- Any vehicle that's loaned to you on a regular basis.
If you buy a vehicle while carrying non-owner liability coverage, you will need to upgrade your insurance to meet your state's mandated liability insurance requirements.
For Massachusetts Residents:
Toll Free: 1.888.299.2993
Signing Up is Easy!